This project is a challenge in which I try to do one altruistic act a day.

Some inspiration on compassion

Thursday, December 24, 2009
I read a great blog entry by Adoree Durayappah on compassion and happiness.  Here is a link to the full entry and below is an excerpt of the entry:

The Dalai Lama said, "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." We know that forgiveness and compassion are important for a meaningful, happy life. Yet, it is much easier to understand the importance of forgiveness than to be motivated enough in the heat of the moment to actually practice it. Every once in a while, you hear a story that makes you want to change and gives you the inspiration to practice forgiveness. ...

Six months ago, a man wielding a baseball bat entered the convenience store of Mohammad Sohail of Shirley, New York. "Give me the money" the robber yelled. Mohammad quickly reached for his rifle and pointed it at the robber's face, forcing the man to drop the bat. (Little did the robber know that Mohammad never loads his gun.)

Mohammad told the man that he would not call the police but to promise never to rob anyone ever again. The man agreed. Mohammad then handed the man $40 and a loaf of bread. Mohammad went to the back of the store to get him some milk, but when he returned the man had fled the store with the $40 and bread.
...
About one month ago, Mohammad received an envelope with no return address. Inside he found a $50 bill and a note that read, "At the time I had No money No food on my table No Job, and nothing for my family. I know that it was wrong, but I had know (sic) choice. I needed to feed My family. When You had That gun to my head I was 100% that I was going to die."
The letter from the would-be robber continued by stating, "Now I have a new child and good job make good money staying out of trouble and taking care of my family. You gave me forty dollars thank you for sparing my life Because of that you change my life."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Good Books on Altruism