This project is a challenge in which I try to do one altruistic act a day.

Paradox

Wednesday, December 23, 2009
I live near a pretty affluent area where many tourists visit.  The street I walk down is full of tourists and people going out to dinner.  It is not unlikely to see a person driving a very expensive car that can't be found at a dealership.  It is always an interesting paradox to me that near the expensive restaurants are people without a home.

The paradox of the situation is interesting to me.  I don't feel superior to the people going out to dinner.  I certainly have done that many times myself.  I feel a part of them.  I also feel good giving food to people in need.  I also don't feel any superiority to them.  I could easily see myself being in their situation.  Dinty Moore in his excellent book, "Accidental Buddhist" describes the concept of 'taking the highseat."  This is when people have feelings of superiority over those around them, sometimes to make themselves feel better.  It actually feels good to me to be able to put myself in both of their shoes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Good Books on Altruism