This project is a challenge in which I try to do one altruistic act a day.

Pasta and Barry Sanders

Sunday, December 20, 2009
I made a batch of pasta today to pass out to some people who are homeless.  It is not so difficult to make and in the long-term I can probably make it pretty cost effectively (and I think it tastes good).  I also put some fruit in the bags also.  I spent about 45 minutes trying to find the first person who is homeless.  I was lucky because he was sleeping and he did not even see me drop off the bag.  The next person was found shortly afterward.  I tried to give it quickly and move on without getting a thanks.  After spending an hour finding 2 people, I found the whole park full of people.  With only one bag left, I had a bit of a dilemma.  I found a lady to give it to.  Now I am going to make some more pasta to bring it to as many more people (I am going to have to get a lot more cheap containers at the grocery store).

I try to give the food our like Barry Sanders used to score touchdowns.  Let me explain.  I grew up watching and learning from Barry Sanders, a former running back with the Detroit Lions (who says athletes cannot be good role models).  Barry Sanders shied away from the limelight.  When he scored a touchdown, he would hand the ball over to the referee and try to get out of the spotlight.  That is, he enjoyed his work just for himself and not the glamor that came from scoring touchdowns.  In his autobiography, he discussed how he did not want to even be at the ceremony where he won the Heisman Trophy.  He was happy with his accomplishments, but he did not want to be celebrated with an award.

When I hand out food, I feel the same way.  The satisfaction comes from just giving it.  I actually try to give it out so fast that they don't even have time to react.  I don't want to hear praise or thanks from them.  The more I hand out food the more difficult this is going to be.  They might start to recognize me.  Thus, I need to come up with a few more altruistic acts. Or at least find different people who are homeless.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Good Books on Altruism