This project is a challenge in which I try to do one altruistic act a day.

Lots of Leftovers and Potential Barriers

Sunday, December 27, 2009
The past few days have been much easier in my giving out food to people who are homeless.  I have had quite a bit of leftovers and I feel I am handing out some good food.  I certainly have been eating much better.  I planned a grocery list for next week.  I don't usually plan grocery shopping or a list for that matter.  But the supplies for doing this project necessitate the need to plan ahead. I certainly don't care about digging out a can of 3 year-old tuna fish for dinner, but I don't feel comfortable giving that out to anyone.

There have been some difficulties in keeping up with this project.  It is not always easy getting out and doing this anonymously.  Luckily, I live alone and nearby many people who are homeless.  However, on long work days or holidays, I have had some difficulties making time for this endeavor (mostly the the blogging though not actually the altruistic act).  It is sometimes difficult to find time away from work, friends, or family to do this project.  In many ways, telling them about it would make this project much easier.  However, I really want to do this project for the sake of the project and not for positive feedback from others or occupational gain.

I could see this project being a great benefit in dating.  I imagine any woman I am interested in being very impressed with this project.  However, I don't usually feel comfortable telling people about my accomplishments anyway.  Thus, even if this were not an anonymous project I might not tell anyone about it.  Thus, I really want to stick with the pledge of keeping this project anonymous.

I signed up for a Twitter account to mirror this blog.  As I signed up, Twitter automatically uploaded all my contacts and asked me to send out a request to have all these people become followers.  I thought it might be a great idea, but then realized that everyone would figure out this was my project (luckily I skipped that step).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Good Books on Altruism